Thursday, November 29, 2007

La comida de Chile - DOS

Ok, I have a new favorite meal in Chile thanks to Fabian (on the right). It's called "chorillana." French fries, sauteed onions, beef, and cheese all served on giant platter. You order it by how many people are at your table and the platters just get bigger. Then everyone digs in with a fork. Apparently, this dish was invented in the town of Valparaiso, the so-called "second city" of Chile. It's a beautiful coastal city that was named an international heritage site for its unique character and sites. It's a lot like a warmer, cleaner San Francisco: lots old buildings, hills, and even special elevators that take you up and down the steeper hills! I'm sure I'll post something separate about this place later, since I'll be spending a lot more time in "Valpo" for our upcoming conference. I can't WAIT to eat more chorillana! - Note also the pisco sours (that Juliet ordered "muy fuerte") and the chilean pirate beer.
I've also been getting the hang of cooking like a chilean. We had a pizza night last night, but this is where I had to put my pizza dough to get it to rise: in the corner of my dorm room next to a space heater. We also couldn't find any baking sheets or pans for the pizzas, so we cooked them all in the oven drip pan. After a lot of improvising, the pizzas turned out great! Now if only I could get used to eating dinner at 10 o'clock at night!

2 comments:

Dr. Kendra Karr said...

I am guessing that you DO NOT need me to send you pork rinds, but maybe some kettle corn.

nick said...

la comida de chile = wicked nasty. If, no when i return to the fair sliver of south american goodness it sure as hell won't be for the food.

About Me

My photo
Las Cruces, Region V, Chile