Saturday, February 2, 2013

We are babywearers!

We don't own a stroller. In many ways, it just doesn't make sense for where we live (dirt roads near sandy beaches). Maybe a stroller would be terribly convenient for our trips to Santiago, but we still are very reluctant to buy one because we LOVE to "wear" Camilo!

I started by making a stretchy wrap, called my "not-Moby" (laugh if you watch How I Met Your Mother), copied from a popular, but overpriced design. With this wrap, Camilo can be tucked up in the fetal position or have his long legs dangling out, but he always up close and tight against my chest. Advantages: good for cuddles, he falls asleep in this position, the stripes make me feel like I'm carrying a baby pirate/prisoner/hipster, and I can keep sun, second hand smoke, creepy strangers, etc, away from him by tucking more fabric up over his head. Disadvantages: Camilo is a little oven up against me and sometime we sweat together into a big, sticky, stretchy fabric mess. Also sometimes the stripes don't go with my outfits.

We also use an family heirloom - an original Snugli carrier! My mom carried both my sister and I in this backpack/kangaroo style carrier, and it is still in perfect condition! Advantages: easier on and off and baby in and out, less of a baby-oven effect, can feed him a bottle while he's in it, sweet nostalgia for my own mommy, and it's retro cool. Disadvantages: less supportive so I never really feel "hands-free."


Joan loves the Beco Gemini carrier. I did a lot of online research looking for a backpack style carrier that is ergonomically correct for baby, supportive for the carrier, and works for both tall daddys and big chested mommys. I haven't used it yet and Joan has only tried one position (Camilo can also face outwards, ride on the hip, or on the back), but it's his go-to Camilo carrier. Advantages: daddy can eat, drink, shop, etc and keep Camilo close and safe. Easy to keep Camilo covered from the sun. Disadvantages: It looks like Camilo might outgrow this carrier far to fast!


Recently I finally decided to take the plunge and bought a woven wrap. Supposedly, these are the end all and be all of baby wearing. There are dozens of ways to tie and wrap and these things with baby in the front, back, or side. It's just one piece of fabric so it's infinitely adjustable to the user and baby up to and beyond toddlerhood. I'm really excited for it arrive and to start tying Camilo onto my back!

 

Next project... sewing a Mei tai!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Las Cruces, Region V, Chile